My small Cheshire garden: part 4

12:07

The sun is shining and the grass is growing, growing, grown! The most dramatic change since my Part 3 post is the new turf, and that we moved the path (at last). But you won't be seeing photos of my garden here, as this post is dedicated to some hard landscaping inspiration and major garden design crushing...    

Leading out from the house

A small decked area will allow us to step out from either the kitchen or conservatory door  at the same level. I love natural materials in a garden, but softwood decking freaks me out! It always seems so slippery, not ideal for access in and out of the garden. I've been looking into the composite deck that's now available - have you used it? I want to try some out before we buy and a 5" sample doesn't give you much of a feel for what it's like to walk on. Even though it's composite, the natural colours are definitely alluring...


Photo from Pinterest
Down to the patio

We intend to raise the patio area to give the garden layers, in the aim it'll make the space feel larger. This will also help with access to the side of the property as there'll be no drop/step. I love gardens that you don't see all in one go from the main vantage point, and this is something we're trying to replicate by giving different seating positions around the garden. The patio area will be used for informal eating, with a small table and chairs. I'm looking at sawn slabs for the patio to provide that contemporary aesthetic - sandstone looks amazing, but will probably blow the budget. L
Anyone else drool over beautiful paving? Photo from Pinterest
Up the garden path...

Although we've moved the path already so the grass has a chance to bed in, we will replace the inherited patio slabs with modern stepping stones inlaid into the lawn; visually recessed stepping stones shouldn't carve up the green space in the same way as a solid path would.
Photo saved in my Gorgeous Gardens board on Pinterest
Somewhere to rest those weary feet

To screen off the shed, we intend to use some modern open slat fencing, which should give the perfect balance between shielding the shed from view but enabling climbing plants to ramble over without lots of wires or trellis. It'll also be a backdrop to our bench at the end of the garden, so will provide a bit of shelter, particularly once the clematis takes over: I think the pale white flowers of Clematis Montana Grandiflora will compliment the space perfectly.
Contemporary fencing. Photo from Pinterest
Breaking down the rooms

At the top end of the garden we will include a single raised bed that juts into the space, further dividing up this 'room' and providing a more casual 'perching' area for friends and family. We have yet to decide where the best place for this to go is, but we do know it will need to be on the right-hand side of the garden, as I plan to grow vegetables here and it's the sunniest spot.

Photo from Pinterest
Another way we plan to carve up the rooms is by moving our silver birch tree (again). In Part 2 you'll have read that we moved it over to the right-hand side of the garden, since the left back border was to become turf. It's so hidden from view here, it's time it moves before it really beds in and endures another stressful relocation. 

This tree is my daughter's wishing tree - my husband and I bought four when we got married to decorate the village hall, gifting one to each of our fathers, and keeping one each for ourselves. When Little R came along, it only seemed right that one becomes hers, and our friends hung wishes for her future from its branches during her humanist naming day. Therefore it needs to be pride of place, and provide some dappled shade where we're likely to need it (and not across our fence.) It's risky putting trees in the middle of a small space, but can have dramatic impact. A recent episode of the BBC's Garden Rescue did something similar, so has inspired me (or rather, given me the guts!) to try the same thing. I'll let you know if I'm brave enough to move the one from the font garden too...


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for reading my blog post! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so leave me a comment and I'll try to reply to you as soon as I can :)

Popular Posts

Instagram

Pinterest

Subscribe